Road trips are fun. Road trips that become adventures are more fun! Trips are meant for exploring your own self as much as new places. Here are 10 useful hacks to turn your usual road trip into an adventure.
- Make a Flexible Plan: Life seldom goes according to plan. A road trip should follow the same example. You may fix a destination but ultimately it is not reaching the destination that matters but the journey towards it. Often you can find wonderful experiences on the road to your mark. Have an open mind to explore new places, no matter how small or insignificant it may look. For a true feel of an adventure, be prepared for a unique sunset by a sleepy hamlet or a small shop selling extraordinary bric-a-brac.
- Pack light but meticulously: It is really a difficult art to know exactly what to pack for a road trip or how to do it efficiently. The best way is to compartmentalize items and store it in boxes based on the size of the content. Remember that you must keep space available for collecting memorabilia too!
- Have disposal/trash collectors: Always keep your car clean before it gets too messy. Keep sealed boxes as trash cans. For liquid waste, keep sealable plastic pouches.
- Be ready to sleep in your car: For a true feel of adventure, be prepared to sleep in your car. Back seats are comfy enough, but small inflatable bed spreads work like magic!
- Extra pair of everything: Chargers/adapters, spare wheel, car keys and swiss knife—these are life savers. Always keep an extra pair in case one gets damaged or lost.
- Learn some mechanical skills: If you cannot repair minor problems in your car or don’t know how to change a wheel, we suggest you don’t make the trip! These skills are ESSENTIAL!!! For the stranded unskilled adventurer, be prepared for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre….
- Keep cash handy but safe: There are places where credit cards don’t work…period. Keep cash handy but safe, like taped under the dashboard, the seat, the foot mat or a hidden compartment in a sealed packet or a small box.
- Bring a map: Google Maps is excellent but in case of connection errors keep a real map handy. It is old school but very effective. Chances are you might discover something or someplace exciting not on the map.
- Learn to make friends: A journey becomes fulfilling if you can make new friends. Meeting new people and getting acquainted is a wonderful experience. Learn some nice people skills.
- Keep celebration drinks available: An adventure is incomplete if you cannot celebrate it. Keep the nice stuff close for those moments when you come across something truly beautiful or someone special. Celebrate when your trip is complete as you drive into the sunset…
Hope this helps you to make your trip memorable!!!